Monumental buildings

Church in Tarnawa Dolna

Saint John Cantius Church was erected in the years 1872-1882 as a foundation of the then-owner of Zembrzyce, Władysław Branicki, and consecrated by bishop Albin Dunajewski in 1880. The earlier wooden parish church, founded by Jan Kanty Wielopolski in 1840s, was built in a different place. The current Neo-Romanesque church, renovated many times, e.g. after World War II damages, is a brick building with a front tower covered with an onion-like helmet. The church interior features the miraculous image of Our Lady of Transition and Healing, as well as Baroque side altars.

Church in Zembrzyce

kościol 008

The parish of Zembrzyce was separated from the parish of Mucharz already in 1533. In the same year the wooden church, erected two years earlier, was consecrated. The wooden sacral building served the parishioners for centuries until the new church, designed by the famous architect from Cracow, Franciszek Mączyński, was built in the years 1911-13. The current parish church of Saint John the Baptist is a brick construction with a gable roof and a massif tower covered with a spherical helmet. The church interior features four Early Baroque 18th century altars (moved from the previous church), early 16th century crucifix and the image of Our Lady of Mercy, painted on wood. The miraculous image of Our Lady with the Child (called Madonna of Zembrzyce), placed in the main altar, enjoyed special devotion in the 17th and early 18th century.

Manor house in Zembrzyce

dworekThe manor house in Zembrzyce, representing Classicist style of 19th century Polish countryside mansions, is a brick building with a wide front wall, based on a rectangular design, covered with a hip roof with a four-column portico and a triangular tympanum above the main entrance. The manor was erected in the years 1807-1810 by the then-owner of the village, Stanisław Leliwa–Ostrzeszowicz. The whole complex consisted of the manor house, servants’ lodge, farm buildings, park, garden and fish pond. The manor was not used for many decades. In the years 2006-2011 the Caritas charity organization of the Cracow Archdiocese purchased the ruined manor and after a complete revitalization the building functions as a therapeutic center for the disabled.

Other

Several interesting examples of small sacral architecture in the area include: roadside chapel from 1749 and mid-18th century wayside shrine of Madonna with the Child in Śleszowice, mid-18th century brick roadside chapel in Przełęcz Śleszowicka pass with a precious figure of Our Lady of Sorrows from 1470, and the late 18th century column shrine with the figure of Pensive Christ. However, the most interesting monument of small sacral architecture in the area can be found in the center of Zembrzyce. It is the early 13th century pedestal with a later figure of Jesus Christ (there must have been another figure on the pedestal earlier). In the pedestal there are reliefs presenting Saints Cyril and Methodius.