Monumental buildings

Saint Clement Church in Zawoja

The church was erected in 1888 as a foundation of the then-owner of the village, Archduke Albrecht Habsburg, on the site of the earlier, mid-18th century church. It is one of the most interesting wooden basilica-like sacral buildings of southern Poland. A single-nave construction with two side aisles,
a transept, a separated presbytery and a four-storey tower features a Baroque and Late Baroque interior, furnished with mostly 18th century sacral objects of art.

Zawoja Open-Air Museum in Markowe Rówienki

The museum exhibits three peasants’ dwellings, a smithy, a chapel and a detached granary with a small cellar. The cottages in the collection include: late 19th century peasant’s cottage of Franciszek Kudzia (presented in its original site), the cottage of Stefan Gancarczyk erected in 1906 (moved from the close neighborhood) and the chimneyless cabin of Franciszek Stopniak, erected in the years 1802-1815 (moved from another part of Zawoja). The latter dwelling is the oldest and most valuable building in the museum. The chimneyless cabin was built of fir and spruce logs and is covered with a gable shingle roof. The cottage of Franciszek Kudzia houses exhibition devoted to the history of mountain tourism in Poland, especially the mountain guides in the Polish Carpathian Mountains (PTTK Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society Culture Center of Mountain Tourism).

Highland Robbers’ Chapel in Zawoja Policzne
According to the local legend, the late 18th century chapel of Saint John the Baptist was erected as a foundation of the robbers inhabiting the nearby mountain ranges. Hence it is also called the Highland Robbers’ Chapel, The chapel is a stone building with a characteristic shingle roofing with an onion-shape dome and a lantern with a spherical crown on top.

Other

Other interesting monumental buildings in the area include: a complex of detached cellars and a wooden belfry in Zawoja Czatoża, wooden villas erected in 1920s/1930s, and early 20th century building of “Babia Góra Station” (the former tourist station of Tatra Society).