The commune has almost 16,000 inhabitants and consists of the town of Maków Podhalański and six nearby villages: Białka, Grzechynia, Juszczyn, Kojszówka, Wieprzec and Żarnówka. Maków was founded around 1350, then Juszczyn, Kojszówka and Grzechynia were established, followed by later foundations of Białka and Żarnówka (16th century) and Wieprzec (17th century). In 1840 Maków received town privileges and in the years 1924-32 it was the seat of the county administration.