The commune inhabited by almost 11,800 citizens consists of 8 villages: Hucisko, Krzeszów, Kuków, Kurów, Lachowice, Pewelka, Stryszawa and Targoszów. The oldest settlement in the commune is Krzeszów. The parish existed there already in 1355. The other villages were founded later, some of them on Vlach Laws. The settlements belonged to private owners, the Polish aristocrat families of Komorowski, Wielopolski and Branicki. During the Second World War the area was incorporated into the Third Reich. In 1940, more than 2,000 people were displaced by the Nazi Germans.