The commune consists of two villages, Skawica and Zawoja, inhabited by nearly 9,100 people. Skawica was founded in late 16th century. In mid 17th century part of the village, called Skawica Górna, become independent and assumed the name of Zawoja. During the Partition of Poland both villages were the Crown Lands belonging to the County of Lanckorona. In the turn of the 19th and 20th century the villages belonged to the Habsburg royal family and in 1924 they were granted to the Polish Academy of Abilities. Zawoja is today the largest village in Poland considering its area.