The town (9,500 inhabitants) was founded in 1405 and today is a seat of county administration. In 16th century Sucha belonged to the Słupski family and then to Caspar Castiglione-Suski. In the centuries to follow Sucha changed its owners several times: the local properties were in the hands of famous Polish aristocrat families of Komorowski, Wielopolski, Branicki and Tarnowski. In the years 1768-1772 the area was a scene of fierce fighting between the Polish Bar Confederates and the Russian army. In 1884 Sucha become an important railway junction and in 1896 it was granted town privileges.