We leave the BWTC and, returning to the county road, we head towards Zawoja (south-east). The route includes a steep uphill ride with serpentines in a picturesque forest setting.
After approximately 5 km we reach the Przysłop Pass on the border between Stryszawa and Zawoja. After crossing it we are already in the largest village in Poland in terms of area. This part of it, interesting in itself, bears the same name as the pass. A beautiful panorama of Babia Góra can be enjoyed from here. After a few more serpentines the route descends and after about 3 km it reaches the regional road no. 957, from where, after turning right, it reaches Zawoja Centrum.
SAINT CLEMENT’S CHURCH
Another wooden temple stands here on our route. This one, however, has a completely different structure from the one in Lachowice. St. Clement’s Church in Zawoja Centrum was erected in 1888 on the site of an earlier church, partly using materials from its demolition. It was founded by Archduke Albrecht Habsburg and designed by his court architect Karol Pietschka, which explains the Alpine style elements present in the structure. It is one of the largest wooden churches in southern Poland. The church is a three-nave basilica building with a shallow transept, tri-sided closed presbytery and a four-storey tower of pole construction. It is mostly covered with a gabled ridge roof covered at present with copper sheeting and the tower is crowned with a pyramidal cupola, also made of sheeting. Inside, the ceilings are supported by cast-iron inter-naval columns. The interior decoration is uniform in style, Baroque and Late Baroque, predominantly from the 18th century. In the main altar there is an image of the Virgin Mary of the Angels with the statues of St. Peter and St. Paul on the sides. The figural-ornamental polychromy was made in 1930 by Z. Milli and M. Arczyński.
Opposite the church, on the other side of the road, stands the Babia Góra Railway Station. It is a two-storey, mostly wooden building with side risalits in the high attic and arcades: a porch (on the first floor) and arcades (on the ground floor
Address: 34-222 Zawoja 123
Car park: open to the public, next to the building
Weekdays: 6:30 AM, 7:00 AM, 6:00 PM (in the winter time 5:00 PM). During holidays and half terms 6:30 AM, 6:00 (5:00) PM
Sunday: 7:30 AM, 9:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 6:00 PM (in the winter time 5:00 PM);
N49 39.649 (49.660816)
E19 33.603 (19.560050)