In Zawoja, in Markowe Rówienki, there is a small open-air museum, established in 1973 at the initiative of Józef Żak, the then president of the Babia Góra Region Branch of the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society (PTTK). Since 2020 the Babia Góra Cultural Centre in Zawoja has been taking direct care of the facility, which is owned by the Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society.
The open-air museum currently consists of three residential buildings, a smithy, a chapel and a free-standing granary with a cellar and a chapel with a statue of the Virgin Mary.
The most valuable object is the oldest cottage of Franciszek Stopiak dating from 1802-1815, moved here from another part of Zawoja. It was built of spruce and fir logs and is covered with a shingle roof. The interior is divided into two parts: the residential part, which consists of a black room, a white room and a chamber, and the farm part – the stable. In the rooms of the residential part an ethnographic exhibition has been arranged, consisting mainly of household equipment.
In Franciszek Kuda’s cottage, dating from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries and still standing in its original place, you can see an exhibition on the history of mountain tourism, while the third building is the youngest – Stefan Gancarczyk’s cottage from 1906, originally standing nearby.
The open-air museum also gathered an interesting collection of oleo prints with religious themes.
Zespół Budownictwa Drewnianego – Skansen PTTK im. Józefa Żaka
tel. 662 856 568, 603 922 010, 33 877 50 66 (Babiogórskie Centrum Kultury)
The Complex of Wooden Buildings – the Józef Żak Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society (PTTK) Heritage Park
tel. 662 856 568, 603 922 010, 33 877 50 66 (Babia Góra Cultural Centre)